Bury Council is about to embark on the next phase of its visionary and ambitious programme of regeneration with significant investment in the Borough to cement it as a destination of choice to both live and work within Greater Manchester.
Bury is proud of its identity within the Greater Manchester region and the council’s leadership team is committed to recognising the different characteristics of its 6 key towns and investing in each area.
Their vision is to create prospering communities that thrive independently; through excellent employment opportunities, education, health and leisure facilities whilst promoting the wider fabric of the Borough through sustainable and accessible transport links and economic opportunities throughout.
The council’s leadership team is dedicated to building upon previous regeneration activity and has identified 3 major programmes of work to re-imagine and transform the areas of Prestwich, Bury Town Centre and Radcliffe. This creative programme will set them apart from neighbouring areas and really put Bury on the map; using these 3 locations as a catalyst for further redevelopment and regeneration across the whole of Bury. The leadership team is committed to being a pioneer and driving force when it comes to changing the face and economic potential of this Metropolitan Borough.
The executive team is now looking for an Assistant Director to join their Business, Growth and Infrastructure team to spearhead this significant change and bring the vision to life.
Purpose and Objectives of Post:
- Leading on the strategic planning of the Borough. This will include having responsibility over the statutory planning functions of Development Plans and Development Management and Planning Enforcement as well as key regulatory functions including Building Control and Urban Renewal.
- Leading on key strategic initiatives including the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework (GMSF) and the plans for the Northern Gateway.
- Planning future infrastructure investments and balance the needs for quality new housing and commercial land with a desire to maintain high quality green spaces.
- Leading on the future planning of our town centres. This will involve working with public and private stakeholders to develop a range of vision and masterplanning documents which set the agenda for the future of our key centres.
- A wide range of property regulatory functions to include statutory planning, building control and urban renewal teams and must ensure these services are able to deliver their statutory duties effectively
- Managing key relationships with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) and Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) in delivering strategic planning and infrastructure projects and plans. This includes strategic transport planning initiatives, helping to secure major transport investment in Bury, such as the Interchange.
- Delivering high performance by establishing clear expectations and standards in line with the Council’s performance management requirements; monitoring and increasing productivity and reporting on achievement, ensuring services are delivered effectively and efficiently to the highest standards; including financial, risk, people and change management.
- To support elected members as local leaders, developing strong working relationships with elected members to understand their needs; as appropriate, providing high level advice and support to them that will contribute to the Council’s performance.
Badenoch + Clark is therefore seeking an individual with experience and knowledge of local government regulatory functions, a track record in strategic planning and exceptional stakeholder management skills. This role will take the lead in multiple forums and will assist the Director of Growth and Infrastructure in building beneficial regional relationships to promote Bury’s interests on the wider Greater Manchester platform.
Previous experience of securing investment and knowledge of the bids process is key and an ability to make commercial judgments which are considered and well referenced must be demonstrated in support of this.
The successful candidate will take responsibility for directly managing an experienced team with real energy and will act as a coach and mentor to develop and utilise their skills further. Therefore this role requires an individual with strong management, leadership and team development experience.
Not only will you join an inspiring, hard working and enthusiastic management team; its also a chance to work in a great Borough with real viable regeneration plans. Bury already has a good visitors economy, affordable housing, strong transport links through tram connections, respectable education and a retail offering that ranks highly amongst its neighbouring North West town centres. The vision for developing this further is realistic and the management team and councillors are all hugely invested in delivering against this goal.
For more information please visit:
For a confidential chat please contact Ben Glitherow – email@example.com or 07808 782 801.